Confirmation of a permanent residence permit in Russia
For a long time, the validity of a residence permit (residence permit) in Russia was limited to five years. After this period, foreigners were forced to re-submit documents for the extension of a residence permit. Of course, if you did not decide to leave the Russian Federation. However, in 2019, amendments in the field of migration legislation came into force, which made the residence permit indefinite. These legislative changes have saved foreign citizens living in Russia from the need to periodically reissue documents.
However, there are formalities that still need to be followed. Violation of legal requirements is fraught with large fines for foreigners, cancellation of a residence permit and other sanctions by regulatory authorities. One of these requirements is confirmation of the fact of residence in the country.
Migration legislation provides for many exceptions to the rules or benefits for certain categories of foreigners. For example, native speakers of the Russian language, people born in the RSFSR and who had USSR citizenship, highly qualified specialists who are invited to work in Russia, issue documents in a simplified manner. However, the latter receive a residence permit strictly for the same period as the work permit. But there are no exceptions to the obligation to confirm residence annually by law.
Goals and objectives of the notification
The annual confirmation of a residence permit in Russia helps the state to solve several tasks at once. Firstly, by submitting a notification, state bodies receive information regarding the permanent residence of foreigners in Russia.
Secondly, thanks to this norm, state bodies can check for how long a foreign citizen has left the Russian Federation. This is necessary to check whether the foreigner has violated the terms of stay abroad for one year. If he has been in Russia for less than 6 months without valid grounds provided for by law, this may serve as a basis for revoking a residence permit.
Finally, the notification allows you to assess the financial condition of a foreigner, whether he has enough money to support himself and his family members in the Russian Federation. The ability to provide income is another requirement that the law imposes on foreigners.
For all these reasons, a foreign citizen permanently living in Russia who has received a residence permit is obliged to notify the Interior Ministry authorities annually with confirmation of his presence in the country. At the same time, the law does not require a foreigner to personally come to the migration service every year and personally submit a confirmation. This can also be done using an electronic form or by mail.
Despite this, every 5 years a foreign citizen must personally appear at the department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs at the place of residence and submit a notification.
If a foreigner violates the obligation to confirm his/her residence in the Russian Federation annually and does not inform the state authorities that he/she still lives in Russia within two subsequent calendar months from the expiration date of the previous notification, his/her residence permit may be canceled.
As you can see, the legislation is quite loyal, and a foreigner’s residence permit is not canceled for a one-time violation. However, systematic disregard of legislative requirements is fraught with sanctions. In order to avoid claims from government agencies, it is important to confirm in time that you still live in the country.
What documents are needed to confirm a residence permit in Russia in 2022:
- A completed notification form.
- A copy and original of the passport or a scan with an enhanced qualified EDS when submitting electronically.
- A copy and original of a valid residence permit or a scan with an enhanced qualified EDS when electronically submitted.
- A document confirming the source of income. It should be borne in mind that from 2022, if income is confirmed by an income declaration, then you do not need to bring the original, since the Interior Ministry employees will independently request a document from the tax service.
- In the absence of a valid registration at the place of residence, a copy and original of the migration registration must be provided.
At what time is it necessary to submit a notification with proof of residence? The deadlines for submission and the procedure for actions are based on the following algorithm:
- Obtaining a residence permit.
- Residence in Russia on the basis of a residence permit for a year.
- Submission of a notification within two months after the expiration of one calendar year from the date of obtaining a residence permit. At the same time, you can submit a notification using any of the available options: by mail, by electronic notification, and so on. Of course, if there is no obligation to submit a notification in person, as mentioned above.
If a foreign citizen fully complies with the legal requirements for notifying migration authorities, does not commit offenses during his residence in the Russian Federation, then there are no grounds to believe that this citizen can be held accountable for violating migration legislation. Consequently, the probability of adverse consequences, for example, in the form of imposition of penalties or cancellation of a residence permit, is reduced to zero.
Such a combination of circumstances allows foreign citizens to fully enjoy all the benefits and advantages provided for by the Russian residence permit.
When confirming a residence permit via mail, it is necessary:
- fill out the notification form and prepare a package of documents;
- bring the necessary documents and a completed form to the post office;
- send a package of documents to the Ministry of Internal Affairs by registered valuable letter with an inventory of the attachment;
- sign the form and receive its tear-off part.
During a personal visit to the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the procedure for confirming residence on a residence permit is as follows:
- fill out the notification form and prepare a package of documents;
- make an appointment for a visit to the Ministry of Internal Affairs;
- receive a tear-off part of the form with the signature and seal of an employee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Advantages of a residence permit
Such advantages include the possibility of subsequent acquisition of Russian citizenship. Such a document as a residence permit itself serves as a basis for obtaining citizenship if a foreigner wants to submit an appropriate application. However, a residence permit gives a visitor almost the full scope of rights and freedoms.
A foreign citizen who has received a residence permit has the right to freely change his place of residence on the territory of the Russian Federation, while there is no need to warn the Interior Ministry authorities when moving. You only need to register at a new place of residence or register for migration.
In addition, a residence permit allows a foreign citizen to freely cross the border of the Russian Federation: to enter and leave an unlimited number of times a year. The only limitation is the length of stay outside the country. It should not exceed 6 months or 180 days within one calendar year, otherwise the residence permit may be canceled. However, there are exceptions to this rule.
The next advantage of a residence permit is the opportunity to work freely in any Russian company and in any region. Moreover, foreign citizens who permanently reside in the territory of the Russian Federation and have received a residence permit acquire the right to pension provision: under the same conditions as for Russian citizens.
We have not listed all the advantages of obtaining a residence permit, but we have named the most important and sought-after powers granted to foreign citizens permanently residing in Russia.
At the same time, do not forget that a foreign citizen has a residence permit in Russia imposes certain duties on him, one of which is the annual notification of migration authorities to confirm a residence permit in Russia.
You may also be interested
- Obtaining a residence permit in Russia due to the marriage
- Permanent residence permit in Russia: what does it give?
- Residence permit in Russia in 2023
- Permanent residence permit without citizenship in the Russian Federation
- Obtaining Russian citizenship without permanent residence permit
- Reasons for refusal of a residence permit in the Russian Federation