Company registrations in Russia
In Russia, as in most European countries, there are several legal forms of business entities. The most common is Limited Liability Company (hereinafter LLC), which is referred to as OOO in Russia. Currently the number of registered companies in Russia reaches 4 million, 90% of which are LLCs. Why is this legal form (LLC) so popular?
- Law degree in Russian Federation
- Studies at the University of Passau, Germany
- Foreign languages: English, German
- Since 2007 lawfirm Beiten Burkhardt
- Since 2012 founder and managing partner at VALEN
Company incorporation (LLC/JSC) depending on the founding members:
- foreign and Russian individuals – From EUR 390
- foreign and Russian legal entities – From EUR 650
VALEN provides a full range of services related to the establishing of LLCs. We provide support at all stages of the registration process:
- Consultating on all matters related to registration;
- Selection of legal address/office and preparation of documents to confirm the address;
- Preparation of company documents;
- Submission and receipt of documents from the tax authorities.
Benefits of the LLC
- LLC registration with the tax authorities takes only 3-5 working days;
- Minimum share capital of only RUB 10,000 (about EUR 150);
- Foreign nationals do not need a work permit to be a company founder;
- Opportunity to apply the simplified taxation system;
- For foreign companies, this procedure is cheaper and faster than registering a branch or representative office (state fee for registering a LLC is RUB 4000, about EUR 60).
What permits are needed to found LLC?
Foreign citizens planning to start an LLC in Russia are not required to have a work permit, residence permit, or other permits. Moreover, foreign citizens (company owners) do not need to reside in Russia.
What are the limitations to start an LLC?
The main limitation is the number of participants in LLC that cannot exceed 50 persons. Also, a company that has only 1 member cannot be the only participant in an LLC.
Who can be a company founder in Russia?
Both Russian and foreign citizens can start an LLC. The basic requirement is the minimum age of 18 years old and legal capability.
Russian and foreign companies may also start an LLC. It is important to note that the combinations of participants may differ, i.e. Russian citizen and foreign company, or foreign citizen and Russian company (etc.) can jointly found LLC.
What documents are required to open an LLC?
The requirements for Russian and foreign nationals to register an LLC are almost identical:
- Company documents (charter, Minutes, application from the founders, certified by a notary);
- Documents confirming the legal address;
- Notary translation of passport/s (for foreigners).
If the participant is a foreign company, the following is required:
- Company documents (Charter, Minutes, application from the founders, certified by a notary);
- Documents confirming the legal address;
- Documents of the mother company with an apostille and a notarized translation into Russian.
Is it necessary to be present in Russia to register LLC?
To register LLC, it is required to have registration application be certified by a notary. The procedure of notarization obliges a personal presence of all the founders. In this regard, the founders may need to travel to Russia. The application can also be notarized abroad, but the rules regarding this vary for each country.
Practice: Incorporation of legal entities
The executives of a large Russian magazine decided to reorganize in the form of transformation a private joint-stock company to a limited liability company. In the beginning the general meeting of the shareholders consisted of 20 shareholders. Thus, it was important to efficiently support reorganization.
- the lawyers prepared the plan of reorganization, held negotiations with the shareholders and discussed the conditions of LLC incorporation;
- drafted the incorporation documents and application forms necessary for the tax authority;
- held responsibility for communication with the shareholder register, tax authorities and non-budget funds.
Two degrees in Lomonosov Moscow State University. Faculties of Law and Philology.
1996 – obtained status of attorney
Foreign Languages: English
Specialist in the field of legal representation, corporate conflict resolution, structuring and support of transactions for the acquisition of business, as well as defense / representation in the framework of criminal prosecution
1994 – has written more than 150 publications in the Russian newspapers and magazines
Since 2019 – Senior Lawyer at VALENOur specialists
Law degree in Lomonosov Moscow State University, 2014
Postgraduate education diploma in Institute of Legislation and Comparative Law under the Government of the Russian Federation, 2017
Foreign Languages: English, German, Spanish, Portuguese
Since 2014 – practice in obtaining and collecting of low liquid debts, in bankruptcy procedures of legal entities and litigation in commercial and regular courts
Since 2020 – lawyer at VALENOur specialists